Cutest Blog and Widdlytink


My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Aug 4, 2013

THMJ Week of 7/21/2013


Yes, yes.  I keep missing The Homeschool Mother's Journal link up over at So You Call Yourself a Homeschooler.  Phooey.  So I've completed a couple of posts and I have the next one almost ready.  Barring any major cafluffles on my part the 7/28 journal should be an official link up.  Woot!  I love being back on track.

In my life this week…
Moved the chicks out to their condo.  All the kids helped - even Merrick.
I didn't have any straw, so we borrowed some wood shavings just for their first day or two.  While I was breaking up the shavings in the top level of the chicken tractor, Merrick was running back and forth from the shavings bag to the chicken box, throwing in tiny, little handfuls of shavings.  Adorable.  Ineffective, but adorable.  Then we thinned out our carrots a bit and Xav and his friend, B, took them a couple of teensy carrots.  Merrick helped with that by pulling off carrot tops to feed to the chicks.

In our homeschool this week…
We gave the boys "first day of school" goodies this week.  We don't actually stop schooling for the summer, but we had just had a 100 day party the day before, so it seemed like a good time.  Every time we hit 100 days, we just start a new 100 day count.  Note to self: Merrick still eats crayons.






Their stuff is all color coordinated.  Mal gets green, Xav gets blue, and now Merrick gets orange (or red, if orange isn't available).

At church this week...
Chatting with Ms. Marty and we look down at Merrick who has a fruit chew crammed half way up his nose.  Nice.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
We also got Discovery Education Streaming Plus for free through the end of August from Homeschool Buyers Co-op.  They've really enjoyed Reading Rainbow.  I pretty much let them choose what to watch since it's summer.  I did hear that homeschoolers can get the password from their local school district and use it at home.  I thought I'd look into it in September.  I have no idea if that is national, by state, or local.

My favorite thing this week was…
Took a walk with Micah on the rail trail while the boys rode their bikes ahead of us.  Looked for my first solo geocache and Micah told me I would need a geocacher name for the app.  I don't even know what made me think of it, but I remembered the CB handle Grandpa Berry {heart him} gave me when I was a kid, StumpBunny.  Then I found the geocache in a hollow tree and there was a teeny, tiny bunny inside.  Perfect.

My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
Probably a Lowe's Build and Grow.  They love those things.  They get to all (usually) go with Dad (usually) and build a woodworking project.  Depending on the projects, they go twice each month.  You should check for day and time in your area.

I’m cooking…
Blueberries.  Anything and everything with blueberries.  I am up to my eyeballs in blueberries.

Micah made mozzarella cheese.  He used the recipe from The Pioneer Woman.  It was delicious.  The pizza he made the next day was better than ever!


I’m grateful for…
Winning the Schoolhouse Planner 2013/2014 from Every Bed of Roses.  I chose the primary planner as the second planner from that contest.  I also won a digital edition of Philosophy Adventure™—Pre-Socratics.  I see giveaways for that all over the place now.  It is getting BIG.  I won Philippians in 28 Weeks from Marcy at Ben and Me and an autographed Sevenglory CD from Home With the Boys.  I am on a roll like jelly!

Some of our fruit around the yard.


Not terribly keen about the Japanese beetles this year.

No comments: