Cutest Blog and Widdlytink


My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Oct 4, 2017

Super Teacher Worksheets ~ A Homeschool Crew Review


Super Teacher Worksheets' supplemental printables added a nice variety of activities to our school day and enabled me to shake things up a bit for boys who are bored of the same old thing.  The Individual Membership, which is valid for one year of access to the entire website, allows family use of thousands of worksheets, with new ones added weekly.  I've used several of the free worksheets available on the Super Teacher website previously.  I knew I would be able to find things to enhance learning for all three punks.  There is just a little bit of everything to try on this site!

The section headings include
     Super Teacher Worksheets
  • Math
  • Reading & Writing
  • Phonics & Early Literacy
  • Handwriting
  • Grammar
  • Spelling Lists
  • Chapter Books
  • Science
  • Social Studies
  • Holidays
  • Puzzles & Brain Teasers
  • Pre-K & Kindergarten
  • Teacher's Helpers
  • and Worksheet Generators


Most of the available content is for Kindergarten to 5th or 6th grade.  There are some sheets for older students as well.  Many of the lessons cover a grade range rather than one specific grade (i.e., 2nd-4th or 5th-7th)


I had some fun finding ways to use the Super Teacher worksheets.
  • Anything that fit in with our studies in some area.
  • Reading comprehension for books we had on hand or had recently read.
  • Finding activities to accompany songs from Schoolhouse Rock.
  • Using pages that dovetail with current events.
I worked with Merrick on CVC words and the D word wheel.  This one was pretty easy for him and he didn't even need help cutting out these circles.


He also had some fun building sentences for Grandpa.  This activity was a little difficult for him, but once he had figured out the bulk of the words, he seemed to really enjoy building sentences.  At first, he was serious, but after a while he became quite silly.  This one was definitely an enjoyable project.


Xav was excited to answer some questions I found on the book Bunnicula, which he has read several times.  I also printed some assignments for comparing a book with its movie, and a comprehension file for The Boxcar Children.


We would watch an episode of Schoolhouse Rock, which takes only a few short minutes.   After that, the boys would work on a printable which coincides with the song.  There are grammar worksheets galore, for various ages.  Merrick was excited to complete this fun activity.  All through it, he sang, "A noun is a person, place, or thingamabob."


At the beginning of our time as Super Teacher Worksheets members, I found hurricane printables to help the punks understand exactly what was happening in Texas, then Florida and Puerto Rico.

I used the calendar generator to create something I could use for morning time.  I used to have that nearly every day with the bigger littles, but until this year, Merrick has been left out of that sort of thing.  The generator offers a few different options.  You can have small numbers in the upper right corner of each day's box.  I did that, but I remembered after making them for September and October that I need to leave the boxes blank for Merrick to fill in himself each day.  The dropdown selector allows for that.  You can choose the full word for each day, or the abbreviated name.  Weekends can be shaded or not, and you can list US or Canadian holidays, or no holidays.  I entered US holidays, but there were a few that were not important to me.  It is as simple to delete a marked holiday as it is to enter new content into the calendar.  Even though while entering the data, it looked like the top line wouldn't fit, when I printed it I had three full rows of typing available in each square,.  Unfortunately, the top and sides of the calendar are right at the edge of the print area and the tip top of the month/year were cut off.  That might just be a setting issue, but I never did get to look into it.


Though I haven't used the Worksheet Generators yet, they look great.  I will definitely be diving into those in the near future.  The set up is similar to the calendar generator.  Using dropdown menus, you answer questions to create the worksheet format, number of questions, and other things.  The three types of worksheets are word search, fill in the blanks, and multiple choice.

I found a few things I couldn't use or didn't need that may be useful to some homeschoolers, but I'm guessing only public educators would have the required equipment or specific need.  A Promethean Whiteboard isn't something you would typically find in a home.  I admit to being curious *and* a bit disappointed that I couldn't access those files myself.

I also found an elementary level gradebook which can be used in Excel (or OpenOfficeCalc).  All you need to do is enter students' names and grades.  The cells are formatted to average everything for you.  Pretty nifty, actually.  A similar PDF gradebook is available in the Teaching Tools section for those who would rather just track grades.

I have a virtual "file cabinet" on the website which I *really* like.  If I find something I think I can use down the road while I'm looking for this week's worksheets, I simply put it in my file cabinet for later.  I can also save any worksheets that I generate in the file cabinet.  Each worksheet shows a blue bar under the description.  That bar has an icon to see the common core connections, a preview of the file, and your file cabinet.  Just one click files it away.

There is so very much available for a low yearly fee, especially if you have elementary children.  I was pleasantly surprised (and maybe a bit overwhelmed at first) with the *many* options on Super Teacher Worksheets.  I do wish that I could easily search for a specific grade, though.  Be sure to take a look at the assignments the rest of The Crew handed out to their children, by clicking the banner below.

Social Media Links:

Super Teacher Worksheets


Crew Disclaimer

No comments: