Cutest Blog and Widdlytink


My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Jan 18, 2017

A is for Alleluia


Some lovely ladies have invited me to join them in a Blogging Through the Alphabet series.  (See the link below to follow along or join.)  Last time I tried, I only got about a third of the way through.  Hopefully, I will be a bit more d is for diligent this time!

So...
A is for Alleluia

Webster's 1828 dictionary says this about it.

ALLELU'IAH, noun [Heb. praise to Jah.]
Praise to Jehovah; a word used to denote pious joy and exultation, chiefly in hymns and anthems. The Greeks retained the word in their praise to Io; probably a corruption of Jah. The Romans retained the latter word in their Io triumphe.

I love that Alleluia quite literally means ""Praise ye Yah." Yah = short for Yahweh (Jehovah).  It's a great reminder for all of God's children.  Even in our darkest times, we are to praise God.  We all know that, although it can be difficult to do.  What I've noticed in my own life is that I sometimes forget to praise God even through his great gifts to me.

I always have the kids write thank you notes after Christmas.  I want their grandparents, aunts, and cousins to know that they appreciate the gifts they have received.  They don't really enjoy doing it.  It's *writing,* after all.  But it's important.  We shouldn't put off or refuse to give thanks and praise.

When I think of Alleluia, three songs come to mind.
  1. The hallelujah chorus from George Frideric Handel's Messiah 
  2. Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, which uses some Biblical imagery, but in Cohen's words is "the Secular Hallelujah."  The use of Alleluia in his song is actually the calling together of the people to sing.  I thought about not including this song, but I definitely think of it and there are some beautifully rewritten Christian versions of it floating about the internet.
  3. This simple song we sing at VBS and Friday School is a huge hit with Merrick.  We usually divide up our group by sides of the room or boys and girls.  One side stands and sings the Alleluias, quickly sitting down and the other side stands and sings "Praise ye the Lord."  It's fun and fast and all kinds of calisthenicy. 
Hallelu, Hallelu, Hallelu, Hallelujah
Praise ye the Lord
Hallelu, Hallelu, Hallelu, Hallelujah
Praise ye the Lord
Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah
Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah
Praise ye the Lord, Hallelujah
Praise ye the Lord. 

Hopefully, I'll see you next week for B is for...



Hopkins Homeschool


Last time through the Alphabet, I was working on word studies of virtues.  You can read A is for Attentive, if you're interested.



4 comments:

Melissa said...

Excellent post. There is so much to be grateful for. We just have to remember to express that gratitude!

TaMara Sloan said...

Thank you for the reminder that we should praise even when things are hard and we don't want to. Our church choir sings the Hallelujah Chorus every Christmas, and it always fills me with a desire to worship and praise.

Lori said...

And I am now singing the last song you wrote. That is one I enjoy because of the simplicity of it yet the depth of meaning. Thanks for the reminders of praising God. - Lori

Annette said...

I remember singing that song! it is a fun one for children to sing (and adults also)