Cutest Blog and Widdlytink


My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

May 30, 2016

Recipe - Pieless Apples

I was tinkering in the kitchen the other day, when I decided to cook up some apple pie filling.  I wasn't trying to quite make the syrupy, drippy, thick, yummy kind.  Though that is tempting now that I think about it.  I decided to use a granny smith.  I cored it and sliced it into 16 pieces.  I didn't bother to peel it.  I melted a tsp of butter in a small pan and let the apples cook a few minutes.  Then I mixed about 1 tsp of granulated sugar, a tsp of cinnamon, and a 1/4 tsp of nutmeg.  I stirred that in the pan and let it bubble away while the apples continued cooking.  I added a little water (a couple TBSP) as needed just to keep things from burning and speed up the apples.


Verdict
It tasted pretty good, but I determined it would need a bit more sugar.  I intended to use two tsp of sugar next time.  What I actually ended up doing was using a sweeter apple and brown sugar.  Use the basic instructions above with the following ingredients and let the apple get pretty cooked.

1 tsp butter
1 apple (pink lady or other somewhat firm sweet variety)
2 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
water as needed

Serves two.  Seriously.  It does.  Xav ate half of one, so it had to serve two.

This would be so good with granola, oats, or ice cream.

No comments: