Cutest Blog and Widdlytink


My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Jan 4, 2016

One Word for 2016 - Peace

For about six years or so now, I've picked a word for the year.  I don't remember many of them for certain.  I do recall Smile and Improve and Gracefull (sic).  I really haven't been super intentional about any of them.  Words are small.  Words are also powerful.  They can lift someone up or let someone down.  I had an awful time trying to choose a word.  I didn't think I was going to know it when I heard/saw/thought of it.  Thankfully, my word came to me when, twice in one day, I read


  
Peace

This year, I plan to really make the effort to think on my word regularly and what it means to me.  How can I use it to connect with my family?  How can I use it to sooth my anger?  What does God tell me in His Word about my word?

Peace

This year, I'm also going to study verses regarding my word. I'll study many verses, but I'm beginning with these two key verses.  I want to come back to these verses any time I need a reminder.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  John 14:27


I like to use Webster's 1828 dictionary when learning about a word.  I've copied the definitions that I feel mean the most to me this year.  They mostly have to do with inner peace and peace in relationships.

PEACE, noun [Latin pax, paco, to appease.]
1. In a general sense, a state of quiet or tranquillity; freedom from disturbance or agitation; applicable to society, to individuals, or to the temper of the mind.
4. Freedom from private quarrels, suits or disturbance.
5. Freedom from agitation or disturbance by the passions, as from fear, terror, anger, anxiety or the like; quietness of mind; tranquillity; calmness; quiet of conscience.
7. Harmony; concord; a state of reconciliation between parties at variance.

To be at peace to be reconciled; to live in harmony.
To make peace to reconcile, as parties at variance.
To hold the peace to be silent; to suppress one's thoughts; not to speak.

It was interesting to me that the words used most often in the definitions were FREEDOM and HARMONY.

Peace, my friends.




1 comment:

Kym said...

What a beautiful word!