Cutest Blog and Widdlytink


My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Aug 30, 2011

Corning Museum of Glass

I used to visit the museum regularly as a child. I loved it there. When I grew up, I went to work there. This place is so near and dear to me. I really enjoyed taking the boys to visit. We kept our visit short (which isn't easy), so we missed a few areas. They especially liked the Innovations area and the Hot Glass Show.

NY Finger Lakes region.
The shuttle.
In the entry.
When I worked here, there were no curtains nor dots on the glass and several people actually walked into the doors and walls in the Contemporary Art room.
Some contemporary glass art.
Brothers having a little fun.
The changing wall. "Glass is.." is on the wall, while the other words move and change around the wall.
Working with glass.
My brother's "art work". He used a hammer to simulate head impact on a windshield.
Clear glass floor, looking at the cafeteria below.
200" telescope disk.
How the disk came to be in the new building.

Melting temperatures.
Glass working tools.
Touching an ancient glass bottle.
Roses in the glass market.

3 comments:

grtlyblesd said...

What a neat place to visit! I love hearing about other families' field trips. :)

kewkew said...

Okay, I am really wondering where you live. Corning is about 2 hours from us, and my older children have all gone to the Corning Museum of Glass for school trips (they went to public school). However, I have never gone, and I have really enjoyed your pictures, because I have never really known what is inside. We have plans to go, just haven't made it yet.
Thanks for sharing on Throwback Thursday Blog-Style. So glad you stopped by. I can't wait to see what you share this week.

zekesmom10 said...

I grew up 20 minutes from Corning. We're in VT now, twelve years actually. Both of our families are still in NY. CMoG is huge! You won't regret going.