Cutest Blog and Widdlytink


My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Dec 18, 2010

Creation Camouflage Week in Review

...eighteen...nineteen...twenty. Ready or not here I come. Remember playing hide and seek? Let's face it, if you are the mom of some littles, you probably played it pretty recently. I always laugh at my boys. They hide in the same old places; under blankets, under the bed, under the table. Not terribly imaginative. This week, we spent some time learning about animals that use camouflage to hide in plain sight.

cam·ou·flage
Pronunciation: primarystresskam-schwa-secondarystressfläzh, -secondarystressfläj
Function: noun
1 : the hiding or disguising of something by covering it up or changing the way it looks
2 : the material (as paint or leaves and branches) used for camouflage

We really enjoyed the Creation Camouflage unit study from Download N Go. The littles are *huge* fans of I SPY type books. It really was challenging to find some of the animals in the pictures and videos we looked at each day.

Day 1: Hiding in Plain Sight
Day 2: Getting to Know the Rain Forest
Day 3: What Is in the Desert?
Day 4: Hiding in the Ocean
Day 5: Cool Things About the Tundra

These were a couple of my favorite pictures.
Boreal owl
{Photo removed.}

Owl butterfly
{Photo removed.}

We also chose this week to watch the Curious George episode when George loses a chameleon.

Download N Go is a lapbooking/notebooking unit study series created by Amanda Bennett and The Old Schoolhouse. Intended for grades K-4, my 3.5 year old loves them as well! DNGs are formatted for a five day study, but with suggested reading and your family's favorite rabbit trails, it could easily expand well beyond that. They are bright and colorful and chock full of information. One thing I really like is the special DNG video page that youtube videos open up in. DNG units each have five daily objectives with components for a smart little lapbook, clickable links to videos and websites, vocabulary, history, geography and more.

I just spend an hour or so reading the introduction and searching our library's online catalog for some books. I print some sheets, depending on our needs for the week and do some cutting. The rest is done for me!

Creation Camouflage is normally priced at $7.95, but is on sale for $5.95 until December 18.

Still not convinced you *need* Creation Camouflage? Check out the blog hop here.

***I was provided a free copy of Creation Camouflage to use with my littles and write my honest review.***

No comments: