Cutest Blog and Widdlytink


My Stick Family from WiddlyTinks.com

Jan 11, 2009

Grandma Mattoon

This is Gramma.



















I've been on a quest to find a bread recipe "just like Gramma's" for a very long time. I found a video recipe for plain old white bread on, of all places, Kristina Werner's blog. Well, I've made it many times since and we love it.













This is just my memory of Gramma, and it's been over 23 years since she left us for Heaven, so I can't vouch for the accuracy.

Gramma would get up early every morning and sit at the table next to the window. She could see the birds in the feeder and she would read her Bible. I think she made bread most weekends, or at least it seemed like it. Gramma didn't measure anything. She just threw it all into a big bowl and an hour later, we were eating scrumptious, hot bread and rolls. I remember the entire counter top being covered from the sink to the window with yummy bread. Cousins would come over and help eat it and before you knew it, most of it was gone.

I also remember Gramma always had room on her lap. Even when we were too big for laps. She would sit in her rocking chair, rock, and hum her hymns to us. I wish I could remember some of the songs. Sometimes, when I hear an old hymn, I think that might be one of them, but I just don't know.

This bread makes me a bit reminisce-y and another thing I think about is get-togethers at Gramma's house. We did holidays there and everyone would visit there from Erie, PA and North Carolina. Those were crazy fun times with the big kids teaching us Red Light, Green Light and Mother, May I?. Remember jarts? None of us were ever injured with them! :) If you can think of some fun backyard games, leave a comment and tell me about it.

I love you, Gramma.

2 comments:

Sara (Chicago Girl) said...

We loved the slips and slip...especially when we would slide off and 3 feet into the grass. *wink* That and croquet...I think the brothers would try to hit us and not go through the hoops when it was their food.

And you actually looked at my blog. Here's hoping on of us gets the candy.

Jean said...

Awesome woman in my life one of her other granddaughter. Misty